Thursday 5 April 2012

NYX Mini Haul: Matte Bronzer (Medium), Slim Lip Pencil (Fuchsia, Hot Red, Orange, & Purple Rain) + Eyebrow Pencil (Charcoal)


Placed an order on NYX Cosmetics recently and I'm happy with most of the products except for one. For swatches and reviews, please continue reading :)

1. NYX Matte Bronzer in Medium

This is one of NYX's newest products, a matte bronzer that comes in 5 different shades which range in the order of Light, Deep, Medium, Dark Tan, Deep Tan. I decided to go for Medium. I was on the fence about trying this new product at first because: 1) Swatches online may differ in person, so I was a bit unsure as to which colour to get and there wasn't a way to see it in person, 2) I LOVE my Benefit Hoola (also a matte bronzer). Why doubt my Holy Grail product, right? But I decided to get it anyway and put my mind to rest, part of me was thinking if it's as good as Benefit's Hoola (£23.50) then I might switch because it's much cheaper (£8.00).


As you can see below, NYX Matte Bronzer in Medium is quite similar in colour to Benefit's Hoola but slightly more orange. Consistency wise, I find NYX Matte Bronzer chalkier and goes on more sheer, so it's a buildable bronzer with about 3 - 4 hours wear. I like this but I don't think this is going to replace Benefit's Hoola because Hoola doesn't go on sheer so you use less product and it has longer staying power. You do get more product with NYX Matte Bronzer (9.5g/0.33oz) than Benefit Hoola (8.0g/0.28oz), but bear in mind NYX Matte Bronzer goes on more sheer and you'll need reapplying more often, while Benefit Hoola is more pigmented so you use less product in the long-run. I've had this particular box of Benefit Hoola for over 3 years now, so it has lasted me quite a while and is still going strong! All in all, it's a good product and if you are on a budget then NYX Matte Bronzer is a good dupe for Benefit's Hoola bronzer.



2. Slim Lip Pencil in Hot Red, Purple Rain, Fuchsia, and Orange


I've been looking for lip liners in these particular colours and was almost going to for some MAC ones when I came across these ones, and for a much cheaper price I couldn't resist.




Hot Red: Universal blue-tone red. Perfect liner for most red lipsticks.

Purple Rain: Cool-tone purple magenta. This one is my favourite (along with Orange), it's such a lovely colour and will go well with bright cool-tone pinks.

Fuchsia: Bright red-tone pink. Perfect with bright fuchsia pink lipsticks, I wanted to get this to go with Maybelline's Color Sensational Lipstick in Pink Punch (see swatch here).

Orange: Reddish orange. I got this because I've been loving the red-orange lipsticks lately, as you can see in this post.


3. NYX Eyebrow Pencil in Charcoal

Last but not least, NYX Eyebrow Pencil in Charcoal is the one that I'm not as happy with. I have normal/combination skin, my T-Zone gets oily as the day goes by and so I need products that have strong staying power and this didn't quite do the job for me unfortunately. It's not waxy enough to stay on all day (ends of my brows that I had drawn on had disappeared within 3 hours), it could possibly stay on longer if I had a primer but who can be bothered to do that everyday?? I think this eyebrow pencil will be good for those who already have quite full brows and just need that extra touch up, but for sparse brows like mine it doesn't do the job. I do like that this eyebrow pencil is automatic, so that eliminates having to sharpen it. 






For those interested, my Holy Grail eyebrow pencil is Shiseido's Natural Eyebrow Pencil in Natural Black and it's one of the priciest eyebrow pencils I've ever bought but it's worth every penny. It's long-lasting and applies smoothly. I've also tried Rimmel's Professional Eyebrow Pencil but the darkest shade they have is dark brown which was okay but I prefer a natural black colour. 

Overall, I'm happy with this little NYX haul - especially the lip liners! In my opinion, NYX offer some of the best affordable makeup products out there and for such an affordable price they are really good quality, especially their lip and cheek products. 

Do visit
NYX online store and have a little browse ;)
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. The lip pencils look so creamy and pigmented. I love the look of Orange. Still need to try out some orange shades for the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed. I'm loving the orange and fuchsia shades for summer, something different from the usual reds :)

      Delete
  2. thanks for this!! have been debating on whether to get the Matter Bronzer in Medium and seems like so far only you have swatched it! ... so thank uuuu ;)

    ReplyDelete

© BEAUTY BY CARMZ. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig